Saturday, August 25, 2007

Back at it!

71 Days until the Marathon
Today's weather: 80º
Today's humidity: 77%


I ran close to 11 miles today. 10.9 to be exact. (Doh! Shoulda stuck an extra couple of steps in there.)

Did the same Home-to-Coney Island boardwalk route as last week, save the extra cool down around the block. However, unlike last week, this week was brutal with the humidity. I don't even think you can call it that. It was like running in a dream. Everything was so foggy and white. Once I reached the boardwalk I couldn't see the ocean at all. The top of the tall parachute jump structure wasn't even visible.

But it was a nice run. I think having visual landmarks really break up a long run into palatable pieces, and that's key for a rookie like me. Once I reach the little milestones it gets better, and I feel myself more confident.

It was supposed to be an easy day today, but I pushed to reach RPE 6-7 at certain points. I had one gel at the 4.25(ish) mile mark that carried me through from one end of the boardwalk to the other. Once I turned around at the other end I slowed it down to about RPE 2-3 until I reached a water fountain where I did some leg stretches and downed my glucose water. A slow walk through the main part of the boardwalk where they were having a pro volleyball tourney, and then a slow RPE 2-3 all the way back home. Not bad.

Though it doesn't make up the lackluster (or should I say lack of) performance this week, at least I got my long run in the bag. And that's what really counts!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I agree 100% - the longruns are what count!

peter said...

What a great place to run long on, the Coney Island Boardwalk. I went to Coney Island this summer to ride the Cyclone (fun!), look for the perfec Nate's (never found it) and see the Cyclones (they won--my brother caught a foul ball!) before they close Astroland forever. Dumbest attraction--Shoot the Human (with paint pellets).

CewTwo said...

Long runs are where its at. I've never been to NY. I would be willing to bet it is a fascinating city.

I'm still on skate time (running on easy as opposed to slip slidin' away), even though the Phedipp WW 1/2 is not that far off.

I'm looking forward to a weekend out campin'. Shh... Don't tell anyone, but we cracked up the jeep last weekend. It was left unattended and the e-brake was supposed to be set, but I could tell by the way it got to going down that hill that the e-brake needs some work, or its a mechanical thing (loose nut behind the wheel). 2 weeks of intense body work (and other changes) plus a new windshield and it is ready to go.

Its up and running again, so I will be trail running in the back-country of Colorado this weekend! Yay!

Take care! Run long and be happy!