Sunday, October 6, 2013

Grete's Gallop 13.1M Race Report

I'll be the first to admit I didn't do enough training for this race, and I paid dearly. Prior to race day, the longest I've done was a 10K. With each scheduled long run, something changed, and I got derailed. And my performance totally showed for it.

The weather didn't help wither. It was 66 degrees with 90% humidity. I just couldn't settle into it at all with so much moisture in the air. It was too cold and clammy, and just enveloped me. I kept a pretty good pace for the first 5 miles, then took a Gu at mile 6. I probably should have taken another around mile 10, and I paid for that mistake. Throughout the race, I couldn't resist the Gatorade, and figured I can just substitute. It did not work out at all as I haven't had Gatorade in close to two years.

When I reached mile 11 I started getting foot cramps. Then my left quad seized up so bad that I had to stop and limp for a bit. The rest of the race was torture. Each time I tried to go faster, I'd cramp up. The faster runners cheered me on and encouraged me toward the end, and I was able to finish. But man, that one hurt.

It was ugly, and it was humbling, and I need to accept the fact that my body is just not the same as it was, that I had a baby and am carrying excess baggage, that my feet are larger, and my hips are wider. It was my third worse time (2:59:30). But the silver lining? It was my tenth half marathon, so I'll take it!


No comments: