Tuesday, October 12, 2010

21 Mile Salute!

First off, I'd like to say that Nike + GPS sucks. I did a 21 mile LR this past Saturday and it only recorded about 3.2. Don't ask me how it happened.

But, BUT! I RAN 21 MILES! I am excited and amazed! I feel like whatever issues I need to work out, has worked itself out. No more cramps. Obviously that was lack of proper intake of carbs. No more toe pains. New shoes broken in.

I just have to say that training for a marathon is tough, but the sense of accomplishment is by far the best thing. For this particular LSD I wasn't entirely prepared, but I sort of knew I'd regret it. The night before, I ate nachos and a grilled chicken sandwich. My running body was telling me to go for pizza, but my fat mind was craving, well, fat. Fat won out that night, but man, did I suffer the first 6 miles. Running body said, "told you so" the next day on the road.

Anyway, I aimed for 22, but I didn't get far enough uptown. Went from home to 100th Street, and crossed over to the FDR and back down. I got up to the Randall's Island bridge and contemplated on running into Queens, but since I didn't plot out the route, I figured it was best if I just stuck to the out and back.

Besides the first 6 miles where I felt sluggish from all that fat intake, the rest of the run was pretty good. I didn't know what my pace was, but I know it was pretty much the same as I always run. I gave myself a break and walked across the Manhattan Bridge during the last leg, but even so, it took about 5 hours total to get home, with stops at the bridge to take pics, doubling back at 59th Street to find a way back onto 1st Ave, and all that walking. I hope I don't walk as much during the race itself, but even so, I'm on course to at least match my 6 hour time.

And now to endure the taper madness!

2 comments:

Susan said...

You are gonna ROCK!!!

Petraruns said...

Wow! That's quite an achievement! Well done Lisa!