Monday, August 20, 2018

Leading Ladies Marathon Race Report

(This one has been sitting in draft for a year, and I'm finally finishing it!) 

Since Honolulu I’ve knocked out a few more states: AR, TX, CT, LA, OH, MI... and now SD for a total of 15 states, 18 overall, and TN as a course diverted DNF, which, I promise to write about one day... but back to SD!

I signed up with the best intentions of getting a better training cycle out of it, but somehow life happened as it did for many of the other ones. I figured I had enough of decent weather months prior to the race in August, and would take advantage of it. Typed out my training schedule and everything, and was making progress in ticking the days off... then life happened.

We had scheduled a gut bathroom renovation that would take weeks in July, and after I temporarily relocated to my sister’s house upstate, the proverbial wheels fell off. I brought running gear and shoes up there for naught. Had it been just myself I probably would have been able to get a few long runs in to reacquaint the legs. But having the kid there with no other adult until nightfall, there wasn’t really a way for me to do so, especially on unfamiliar and unlit roads with no shoulders. Tack on the logistical nightmare of several large projects that suddenly fell onto my lap in early August, my mind didn’t even think about actually running until I got on the plane.

So, I basically went into Leading Ladies relying on muscle memory with the singular goal of just finishing. (SD was a rather expensive trip compared to previous races I did, and I’d rather not have to repeat a state considering I already have to re-run TN. I don’t normally tack on an extra day, but the way the flights were scheduled it was easier just to arrive on Friday and leave on Monday.)

Chapel in the Hills

Flew to Chicago and met up with Julie where we puddle jumped to Rapid City, SD and met the rest of the ladies. Had a nice lunch, caught up, and did some local sightseeing before driving to Spearfish where the Airbnb was located. We pretty much visited the major attractions, a random Norwegian Church that was an exact replica of the one in Norway, Sturgis, Deadwood, where Wild Bill met his fate in a saloon. (More interesting to me was the fact that the city used to be home to one of the largest Chinese populations in the country, a tidbit I happened upon while Google Map surfing.)


Chillin' at a bar in Deadwood with some of my favorite runner ladies


I've run several races with these ladies already!

After picking up our bib from the mini expo at the Hyatt, we headed over to Walmart to do some food shopping, then headed to the Airbnb where we relaxed ordered pizza and beer, and chilled and caught up.

Our airbnb hostess left us wine!

Saturday morning was devoted to Keystone, Rushmore, and Crazy Horse where we ziplined and visited monuments. Dinner was at a local steak house, and then back early to prep and sleep since it we had to wake up at ass o’clock. (That’s 3:15am in case you wanted to know.)




Only crazy people go zip lining the day before a race


The Lady Bugs invade Mt. Rushmore




Who doesn't want to own their very own rock from Crazy Horse Mountain?!


When we woke up Sunday morning a light drizzle, and Karen being the most prepared had ponchos for all of us. We made it down to the finish at 4am, and got picked up by cheese buses that brought us to the start. By the time we arrived, the drizzle became steady rain, and from the forecast, it was going to be wet the entire time.


Everyone else ran the half. We did the full.

Now, I ran some small races before, but this was by far the smallest. There were a total of 88 ladies for the full, and 201 for the half. It was quite amusing to have the organizers announce that anyone who wants to check their gear can just toss it in the back of the red pick up, and they’ll drive it down to the finish.

The start was uneventful, and I did try to run. But let me just say that having not trained, and not used to 6,000ft above sea level, I gave up on doing that real quick! Within the first mile, the pack pretty much disappeared as I hobbled along by myself. And that was pretty much what it was like the entire time. I was mostly alone, shuffling in the downpour. At first I had my arms out, but the rain just soaked my arm sleeves and the dampness was making my arms cold. I tried stuffing my arms under the poncho, but doing that caused the poncho to stick restricting my arms a bit. I forgot my cap so I tried to keep the poncho hood on. Eventually I just said F it, it is what it is, and just focused on making my way downhill. 







There's something to be said for running alone in the rain and just reveling in the moment. Somewhere during the early miles I got overwhelmed by the beauty of the trees, the rain, the mist and creeks that I started crying tears of joy. It was just. So. Beautiful. Unfortunately, the rain made it really hard to take many photos. I managed a handful before having to shove it back before it got completely damaged. (There's now a faint circle that shows up on all my photos.)

Eventually, I made my way to the halfway point where a sad tent, empty chair and timing mat waited. It was probably off, but I went and ran over it anyway just in case. Every once in a while, I'd look ahead and back. No one was in front, and I ran knowing the route was a closed one so I wouldn't get off course. Behind me was a single runner, and I can tell she was trying to gain so I slowed my roll, and let her catch up. To be honest, I could use the company as well after hanging out in a portapotty completely soaked and trying to warm up, wondering how I was going to finish after running almost the entire course alone, so far. (At once point I tried to pick up what looked like a tarp because the water was soaking my bones.) 

Somewhere around mile 16 she caught up, introduced ourselves and we began a friendly chat, willing ourselves forward taking turns leading. We talked about our previous races, our goals, and our running. Diana ran with a huge limp, and mentioned she wanted to apply to be an Achilles runner. I told her about my 50 state goal. 


Oh dear!

The skies cleared up around mile 22, and we stopped to watch a family of deer hanging out. Slowly but surely we managed to get to the bottom, and wound our way around through the park area looking for the finish. When we got there, the rest of the girls were waiting, already having gone home and showered, and returned to cheer us on. Seeing the end was near, Diana asked if we could hold hands to the finish, and I said absolutely. There's something magical that happens during the end of a journey of a shared running experience that's hard to put into words. After we crossed, we hugged each other and took a pic together. The fabulous race director gave us medals and sunflowers and congratulated us on our finish. The girls were nice enough to offer her a ride back to her hotel since it was on the way to the store anyway. I thought about walking the mile or so back to the airbnb, but I was just too pooped. 



Running to the finish!



South Dakota: check!




Post-race festivities included beer, food (of course), and a trip to the Mt. Moriah Cemetery where the only remaining evidence of a once-bustling Chinatown remained. Oh, and we ended up mailing a Crazy Horse rock because we just didn't want to have to check in luggage. Finally, it was time to go. We all packed up and headed back to the airport. 7 ladies from 7 states, coming together for a girls' weekend. It was a much needed respite. Oh, and I got to knock South Dakota off the list! 

No comments: