Saturday, February 21, 2009

Al Gordon Snowflake 5K Recap

Just came back from the Al Gordon Snowflake 5K. It was a nice run. I convinced several other people and Chris to run and they all had a great time. This is the group that decided to run the NYC Marathon in 2011 (a collective decision swayed by the imbibing of alcohol during someone's birthday dinner). They figured it was a nice way to slowly get used to the running experience. So it was 6 of us with 4 total newbies. Everyone enjoyed themselves, so that was good.

As for my own race, I was about 1:15 off my 2004 PR but it was one of my faster short runs in a while. The last time I did a 5K was about 3 years ago, so I was pretty happy with the results. I knew the Prospect Park course fairly well from the training, and I knew that the finish would be where the Brooklyn Grand Prix finish line would be. As for elevation it wasn't bad. I tackled the first large hill fairly quickly and let gravity pull me through the downhills. The last couple turns going uphill was a push, but it was rather painless. Too bad there aren't more races in Brooklyn or else I'd be all over those.

Afterward we stopped at the famous Tom's Diner for a celebratory brunch (where we pretty much undid all the positive effects of the run).

So that's #2 out of 9 for the year. Peace of cake!

That lady in the light pink saw my sweatshirt and was like, "hey nice sweatshirt." Then showed me her Donald Duck Half Marathon sweatshirt. She PRed in that race so I gave her a high five.

4 comments:

Petraruns said...

Nice going - well done! 2 out of 9 you're on fire!

Susan said...

Super duper! AND you got 4 others on the train -- choo choo!

AliCat said...

So funny, I am not even sure how I ended up on your blog*, but I am the person in light pink. Nice to meet you.

* I do know, I am on twitter, am now being followed by someone and went I went to their info, I saw a link to your blog and thought it was another Lisa, too funny.

ShirleyPerly said...

Nice 5K! And wonderful that you got four newbies to do the race too. You get quadruple credit for that :-)